Thank you for using Opal. At Opal, we believe everyone of us deserves control over our lives — and our time (you can read our manifesto). We also believe in clear and unambiguous rules when it comes to privacy.
Here are the general principles that drive our decisions when it comes to privacy — and how we collect, use and handle your personal data.
- Data stays on your phone: whenever possible, we will keep your data on your phone (client) and never store your data on our servers. For example, the main technology of Opal is built so that our app blocks connections right from your phone, without your data being stored on our servers. Unlike most apps, Opal works entirely on your phone and personal browsing data never leaves your device. We use Apple’s local VPN technology in order to monitor apps you use. Installation is easy and takes a few seconds on your iPhone.
- Minimize data collection: our goal is to make sure the collection or use of your personal data is as small as possible, even sometimes not collecting any personal data at all, and you will always know about it and chose if you agree to such collection, or not;
- Prioritize privacy: all technology companies use data to improve their products and services. That said, we believe many technology companies overextend this practice by storing too much data not not paying enough attention as to what and how they collect it. Our guiding principle is to prioritize privacy, even in cases where collecting more data could be beneficial to improve Opal.
- When you’re out, you’re out. Because we keep data on your phone and not on servers; when you delete your app, your data gets erased. Except for any crash data we might still have in the system.
- Never, ever sell data to third parties.: one of our guiding principles is that we are a company made for humans only, NOT third party corporations or advertisers. We will therefore never sell any of your personal data to third parties.
- You pay for the product. Standard Opal is free for users, but we will offer premium services very soon that will help us fund the business and fulfil our promise.
As a digital wellbeing company, we want to bring you peace and balance in your use of digital technology. Privacy is core to your peace of mind, so we will take extra care with it.
Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] for any questions, inquiries or issues.
- Maintaining the privacy of your information is of paramount importance to us as it helps foster confidence, goodwill and stronger relationships with you, our customers. If, at any time, you have questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please feel free contact us at [email protected]
- Opal OS Corporation ( "we," "us," "our," "Opal") is the owner of the OPAL Application ("Opal" or the "App"). Opal is a mobile application that allows its users to take control of their phone, save time and find focus each day (the "Service"). You can choose to sign up for a free account, or to sign up for a premium account with additional features. For the purpose of this Agreement, both the free Service and the premium account are referred to collectively as "Opal," the "App," or the "Service", unless otherwise indicated.
- Privacy Statement
- PURPOSE OF OUR POLICY
- A NOTE ABOUT CHILDREN
- Consistent with the federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has used our Service and provided Personal Data to us, please contact us, and we will work to delete that information from our databases. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe we have collected information from your child in a manner not permitted by law, contact us at [email protected] We are not liable for any damages that may result from a visitor’s misrepresentation of age.
- THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- In the course of business it may be necessary for us to collect Personal Data. This information allows us to identify who an individual is for the purposes of our business, contact the individual in the ordinary course of business and transact with the individual. We require this information in order to verify the identity of our Users, to protect our customers, and to ensure the integrity of the Service.
- We will collect Personal Data from you only if you, or an authorized individual, whom you have authorized to share data about you (the “Authorized Agents) voluntarily submit such information to us. You and/or the Authorized Agent can refuse to supply Personal Data, except that it may prevent you from engaging in certain Site related activities or accessing parts of the Service.
- Without limitation, the types of information we may collect are:
- Communications and Workflow. We may collect information about a User’s activity when the User uses the Service. We will never collect information about a User’s private communications, but some Users choose to communicate in our public forums;
- Contact Information. We may collect information like your email address, and other information that allows us to contact you and is also considered Personal Data under United States Law;
- Financial Information. We may collect financial information related to an individual such as any bank or credit card details used to transact with us and other information that allows us to transact with the individual and/or provide them with our Service;
- Personal Data. We may collect personal details such as your name, location, and other information defined as “Personal Data” that allows us to identify who you are. We may utilize this information in order to adapt our Service to Users’ needs or to develop new tools for the community;
- Social Media Information. We may collect twitter, Facebook, Telegram or other social media Usernames if you connect to these social networks through the Service;
- Statistical Information. We may collect information about an individual’s online and offline preferences, habits, movements, trends, decisions, associations, memberships, finances, purchases and other information for statistical purposes;
- HOW INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
- Most information is collected in association with your use of the Service. In particular, information is likely to be collected as follows:
- Account. When you open an Account on the application and submit your personal details, or when you enter Personal Data details through another process in order to receive or access something.
- Contact. When you contact us in any way.
- Flash LSOs. When we post videos, third parties may use local shared objects, known as “Flash Cookies,” to store your preferences for volume control or to personalize certain video features. Flash Cookies are different from browser Cookies because of the amount and type of data and how the data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser or mobile phone will not remove Flash Cookies.
- Marketing and Web Surveys. From time to time, we may conduct online research surveys through email invitations, surveys and online focus groups. When participating in a survey, we may ask you to enter Personal Data. The Personal Data you submit in a survey may be used by us for research and measurement purposes, as described below, including to measure the effectiveness of content, advertising or programs. When our market research surveys collect Personal Data we will not knowingly accept participants who are under the age of 13.
- Payment. When an individual submits their details to open a payment account or make a payment.
- Uploads. When you upload or generate user content, such as photos, videos, text, comments, using our Service.
- Phishing. It has become increasingly common for unauthorized individuals to send e-mail messages to consumers, purporting to represent a legitimate company such as a bank or on-line merchant, requesting that the consumer provide personal, often sensitive information. Sometimes, the domain name of the e-mail address from which the e-mail appears to have been sent, and the domain name of the web site requesting such information, appears to be the domain name of a legitimate, trusted company. In reality, such sensitive information is received by an unauthorized individual to be used for purposes of identity theft. This illegal activity is known as “phishing”. If you receive an e-mail or other correspondence requesting that you provide any sensitive information (including your password or credit card information) via e-mail or to a Web site that does not seem to be affiliated with us, or that otherwise seems suspicious to you, please do not provide such information, and report such request to us at [email protected]
- We understand that there are many circumstances in which we may collect information, and we work hard to ensure that you are always aware when your Personal Data is being collected.
- THE SAFETY & SECURITY OF PERSONAL DATA
- Data Hosting. We are committed to protecting the security of your Personal Data. We use a variety of state of the art encryption technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We also require you to enter a password to access your Account information. We do not have access to this password. Please do not disclose your Account password to unauthorized people. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we take extraordinary efforts to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
- Third Party Use. We are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of any third party; this includes third parties to whom we are permitted to disclose your Personal Data in accordance with this policy or any applicable laws. The collection and use of your information by these third parties may be subject to separate privacy and security policies. We cannot control and are not responsible for the privacy and security of your Personal Data once it is provided to a third party by you or in accordance with your requests or directions.
- Unauthorized Access. If you suspect any misuse, loss of, or unauthorized access to your Personal Data, you should let us know immediately at [email protected]
- Authorized Use. We are not liable for any loss, damage, or claim arising out of another person’s use of the Personal Data where we were authorized to provide that person with the Personal Data.
- when we contact users
- Service Announcements. On rare occasions it is necessary to send out a strictly Service related announcement. For instance, if our Service is temporarily suspended for maintenance we might send users an email. Generally, users may not opt-out of these communications, though they can deactivate their Account. However, these communications are not promotional in nature.
- Customer Service. We communicate with users on a regular basis to provide requested Service and in regards to issues relating to their Account.
- WHEN PERSONAL DATA IS USED & DISCLOSED
- Time Period. We may retain your data as long as you continue to use our Service. You may close your account by contacting us, but we may retain Personal or Non-Personal Data for an additional period as is permitted or required under applicable laws. Even after we delete your Personal Data, it may persist on backup or archival media for an additional period of time.
- Agents, Consultants, and Trusted Third Parties. Like many businesses, we sometimes have companies perform certain business-related functions for us. These companies include our marketing agencies, database service providers, backup and disaster recovery service providers, email service providers, and others. When we engage another company, we may provide them with information including Personal Data, so they can perform their designated functions. They are not permitted to use your Personal Data for other purposes.
- Business Operations. Your Information is used to operate our business. These business operations may include:
- The provision of Service between you and us;
- Verifying your identity;
- Communicating with you about:
- Your relationship with us;
- Our goods and services;
- Our own marketing and promotions to users and prospects;
- Competitions, surveys and questionnaires.
- IP Address. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our application or sever, and to administer our website. We do not link your IP address which accesses our website to any Personal Data. We use tracking information to determine which areas our App or site users visit based on traffic to those areas. OPAL does not track what individual users read, but rather how often each page is visited. This helps us maintain a superior and informative website for you.
- Improve Customer Service. Information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and to support your needs more efficiently.
- Payments. We may use the information Users provide about themselves when placing an order only to provide service to that order. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to provide the service.
- Personalize Your Experience. We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the Service.
- Site Improvement. We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and Service.
- User Testimonials and Feedback. We often receive testimonials and comments from users who have had positive experiences with our Service. We occasionally publish such content. We obtain the user’s consent prior to posting his or her name along with the testimonial. We may post user feedback on the Site from time to time. If we choose to post your first and last name along with your feedback, we will obtain your consent prior to posting you name with your feedback. If you make any comments on a blog or forum associated with your Site, you should be aware that any Personal Data you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the Personal Data you choose to submit in these blogs and forums.
- Disclosure. There are a few circumstances where we must disclose an individual’s information:
- In response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- To protect the rights, property, or personal safety of another user or any member of the public;
- As required by any law;
- In the event we sell our business and may need to transfer Personal Data to a new owner; or
- In special cases, such as in response to a physical threat to you or others.
- OPAL does not make your Personal Data available to third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent.
- Non-Disclosure. We promise not to disclose or sell your Personal Data to unrelated third parties under any circumstances, ever. We do not sell, trade, or rent your Personal Data to others.
- Your California Privacy Rights
- California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our software and Service that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send e-mail to [email protected]
- do not track
- YOUR CHOICES REGARDING INFORMATION
- Cookies. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept Cookies from our Service for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting Cookies or to prompt you before accepting a Cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser’s technical information. If you do not accept Cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Service or all functionality of the Service. If you have any questions about how to disable or modify Cookies, please let us know at the contact information provided below.
- De-Linking SNS. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to have your SNS account (e.g., Facebook, Telegram) linked to your Account, then you may de-link the SNS account in the “preferences” section in your account settings. You may also manage the sharing of certain Personal Data with us when you connect with us through an SNS, such as through Facebook Connect. Please refer to the privacy settings of the SNS to determine how you may adjust our permissions and manage the interactivity between the Service and your social media account or mobile device.
- Changing or Deleting your Personal Data. You may change any of your Personal Data in your Account by editing your profile within your Account or by sending an e-mail to us at [email protected]. You may request deletion of your Personal Data by us, and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request, but please note that we may be required to keep such information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete any information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives. We may also retain your information for fraud or similar purposes.
- EU Residents. In addition, if you are a resident of the European Union, you can object to processing of your personal data, ask us to restrict processing of your personal data, or request portability of your personal data. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us at [email protected] Note that if you submit such a request, this may prohibit you from using the Site and/or Service.
- Withdrawing Consent. If we have collected and processed your information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- Data Protection. You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Where we process your information solely on behalf of a customer, we may be legally required to forward your request directly to our customer and/or social media business partners for their review / handling.
- can-spam compliance notice (U.S. users only)
- We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the unsubscribe or opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any service you have requested or received from us.
- COMPLAINTS AND DISPUTES
- If you have a complaint about our handling of your Personal Data, address your complaint in writing to [email protected]
- If we have a dispute over handling of your Personal Data, we will first attempt to resolve the issue directly between us.
- If we become aware of any unauthorized access to your Personal Data we will inform you at the earliest practical opportunity, once we have established what was accessed and how it was accessed.
- international privacy laws
- This site is intended for use only in the United States. If you are visiting the Service from outside the United States, please be aware that you may be sending information (including Personal Data) to the United States, where some of our servers are located. That information may then be transferred within the United States or back out of the United States, depending on the type of information and how it is stored by us.
- We will ensure that any transfer of Personal Data from countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) to countries outside the EEA will be protected by appropriate safeguards, for example by using standard data protection clauses approved by the European Commission, or the use of binding corporate rules or other legally accepted means.
- European USers
- Data protection law in Europe requires a "lawful basis" for collecting and retaining Personal Data from citizens or residents of the European Economic area. Our lawful bases include:
- Performing the contract we have with you: In certain circumstances, we need your Personal Data to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the services, enable creators to establish and display their projects, and enable backers to find and make pledges to them.
- Legal compliance: Sometimes the law says we need to collect and use your data. For example, tax laws require us to retain records of pledges and payments made through our services.
- Legitimate interests: This is a technical term in data protection law which essentially means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. we sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. For example, we use identity, device, and location information to prevent fraud and abuse and to keep the services secure. We may also send you promotional communications about our services, subject to your right to control whether we do so.
- We analyze how users interact with our site so we can understand better what elements of the design are working well and which are not working so well. this allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all our users.
- Data Protection Authority. Subject to applicable law, if you are a citizen or resident of the European Economic Area, you also have the right to object to Opal’s use of your Personal Data and to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
- ADDITIONS TO THIS POLICY
- Contacting us
- ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
These additional disclosures for California residents apply only to individuals who reside in California. The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) provides additional rights to know, delete and opt out, and requires businesses collecting or disclosing Personal Data to provide notices and means to exercise rights.
Notice of Collection.
In the past 12 months, we have collected the following categories of Personal Data enumerated in the CCPA:
- Identifiers, including name, email address, phone number account name, IP address, and an ID or number assigned to your account.
- Customer records, billing and shipping address, and credit or debit card information.
- Commercial information, including purchases and engagement with the Service.
- Internet activity, including your interactions with our Service.
- Audio or visual data, including pictures or videos you post on our Service.
- Employment and education data, including information you provide when you apply for a job with us.
- Inferences, including information about your interests, preferences and favorites.
Right to Know and Delete.
Consumers who are California residents (and not representatives of businesses, whether those businesses are our customers or others) have the right to delete the Personal Data we have collected from you and the right know certain information about our data practices in the preceding 12 months. In particular, you have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of Personal Data we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the Personal Data was collected;
- The categories of Personal Data about you we disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The categories of third parties to whom the Personal Data was disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the Personal Data; and
- The specific pieces of Personal Data we have collected about you.
To exercise any of these rights, please email us at [email protected]. In the request, please specify which right you are seeking to exercise and the scope of the request. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 days. We may require specific information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your requests to know or delete.
If Personal Data about you has been processed by us as a service provider on behalf of a customer and you wish to exercise any rights you have with such Personal Data, please inquire with our customer directly. If you wish to make your request directly to us, please provide the name of our customer on whose behalf we processed your Personal Data. We will refer your request to that customer, and will support them to the extent required by applicable law in responding to your request.
Right to Opt-Out.
To the extent Opal sells your Personal Data as the term “sell” is defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of your Personal Data by us to third parties at any time. You may submit a request to opt-out by emailing us at [email protected]
You can designate an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf. However, we will require written proof of the agent’s permission to do so and verify your identity directly.
Right to Non-Discrimination.
You have the right not to receive non-discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any of your rights.
Shine the Light.
Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California can obtain certain information about the types of Personal Data that companies with whom they have an established business relationship have shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. In particular, the law provides that companies must inform consumers about the categories of Personal Data that have been shared with third parties, the names and addresses of those third parties, and examples of the types of services or products marketed by those third parties. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by Opal Social pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, please contact us via email at [email protected]
Opal Software Terms and Conditions
1. The Opal software (“the software”) is licensed (and, for the avoidance of doubt, not sold) to you on a non-exclusive basis for your personal use only and may not be used for any commercial purpose nor for the benefit of any third party and all rights of ownership in the software (including copyright which is protected by national laws and international treaty) are reserved by and belong to Opal OS Corporation.
2. You may not resell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend or supply copies of the software (including any nap program or part of a program comprised in the software or downloaded from it) to any other party nor assign subcontract or in any way make over the benefit of this license to any other party nor may you make copies of, modify, decompile, adapt, translate, attempt to reverse engineer or discover the internal workings of, or otherwise exploit the software.
3. The software and related documentation are provided on an “as is” basis and without representation or warranty of any kind expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, any warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose whether imposed by law or otherwise implied all of which are hereby excluded to the maximum extent permitted by law.
4. You agree to satisfy yourself independently that the software is suitable for your use of same before you use it.
5. Any liability of the Licensor for any defect in the software shall be limited to the price paid by you for the license to use same and, for the avoidance of doubt, under no circumstances shall the Licensor be liable for any incidental, special or consequential loss or damage (and related costs and expenses) resulting from the use or inability to use the software or related documentation.
6. “Opal” is owned by Opal OS Corporation and this license does not give you any rights to (and you shall accordingly not) use the name for any purpose whatsoever.
7. You acknowledge you have read and understood the safety warning. If you are in doubt you should consult your doctor/physician before you use the Opal product. You must not use the Opal product when driving, operating machinery or at any time when full alertness is required
Do not use Opal products if you suffer from epilepsy, clinical depression or any other nervous or psychiatric condition without consulting a doctor first. If you are in doubt for any reason please consult your doctor/physician before you use the Opal product. The Opal product should not be used when driving, operating machinery or at any other time when full alertness is required.